Tuesday 23 December 2008

This is the universe. Big, isn't it.

Over the weekend,  the tv, the new tv, the one with the obscene ( compared to 5) number of channels, delivered my favourite film. I had a suspicion it might be on soonish because a couple of weeks back another from the same stable and nearly as wonderful had been on too, and the schedulers have a certain predictability. 

I happened upon it in the best way, by accident, without hunting it, it was just there and I landed at the beginning. Just as I did the very first time at home on vacation from university. I am not sure how it was possible that our paths did not cross before I left home but I am glad that they didnt. It was a pivotal film in the career for Mr Niven who made me laugh out loud one summer.

This film reaches out and plays with your heart, amuses your mind, and dazzles your ears and eyes. Witty dialogue delivered simply. Images once seen you don't forget and ideas that LIFT YOU UP and make you think. Each time I see it I wonder at it.

Greeted by the sound of barking - a black bounding labrador and the sound of a flute, Niven believes he has entered heaven. 

OOh I always hoped there'd be dogs..






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Missed this occurance, but managed to see the repeat on Film4 this last weekend (and, inspired by it, even watched A Canterbury Tale that evening). The first film has so much to offer, even though I knew what was going to happen, I was enthralled by how it happened - and had the vicarious pleasure of watching with someone who didn't know what was going to happen, and his anticipation and enjoyment added to mine.